Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Anery Clutch

I had just about given up on this clutch when I spied this tiny anerythristic Honduran peeking up at me with it's little bandit mask. I'm pretty sure this is the only one of the four eggs that will hatch from this clutch, but I was thrilled to see it. This baby is 17 grams and comes from an anery to anery pairing. What does that mean? Anerythristic (anery for short) means lacking red pigment. Both of the parents display this simple recessive trait, so the baby does as well. Want to learn more about simple recessive reptile genetics? Comment on this post or contact me and I'll write about it in an upcoming post.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure this will be completely inappropriate and extremely girly, but...awwww! That baby is far too cute! Congrats on your new little one! (I secretly like this one better than his brighter colored relatives)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've always loved the anery's., too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I opened the three eggs that didn't make it and found a fully formed ghost in one of them. A ghost is a snake that displays the anerythristic and hypomelanistic traits simultaneously, resulting in a snake that looks alot like a faded black and white photo. I was bummed, as I've been hoping to produce a ghost for some time now. At the same time, I was happy because that proves that both of the adults carry the recessive hypo gene.

    ReplyDelete

Need to contact me directly? Visit mikefoux.com.