Saturday, July 24, 2010

All You Can Eat

This is what feeding 20+ snakes looks like. It's about one week's worth. 
I buy frozen mice in bulk in several sizes from pinky (newborn) to XL adult. I also keep a stock of frozen rats for my pythons. The mice are left on a towel to thaw and then fed to the snakes according to size and appetite. Some of the snakes demand mice scented with a little blood or brain matter. Gross, right? The best feeders are the ones that will eat two or three (or more) mice at a time. I give the females all that they'll eat to keep them healthy for breeding. The males are fed all they'll eat until they reach adulthood. Then I cut them back a little to avoid obesity.
I spend $500-$1,000 per year on mice and rats, buying direct from RodentPro. The shipping for each box costs $48. That might sound expensive, and it is; but buying in bulk is the only way I can afford to keep so many snakes. Pet stores typically have a 400-1000% markup on feeder rodents, which is okay if you only have a few snakes. By the time you get to about five it's worth it to order a year's worth of mice at a time. I have, at any one time, up to 1,000 rodents in my freezer, and I order about 3-4 times a year. Mice...they're what's for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Need to contact me directly? Visit mikefoux.com.